WE GOT US NOW SUPPORTS CHILDREN + FAMILY VISITS IN NYS
Research shows when incarcerated parents are connected to their children & families they are less likely to return back to prison. (Poehlmann-Tynan 2015)
SIGN THE PETITION to SUPPORT 3 VISITING BILLS that keep children in NYS connected to their incarcerated parents.
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
SIGN + SHARE PETITION
2. SAVE IMAGE - REPOST & SHARE
WHAT ARE THE VISITING BILLS?
1. REINSTATE PRISON VISIT BUS (A5942/S731)
SIGN THE PETITION to support reinstating the FREE VISIT BUSES providing children and families with bi-monthly free transportation from Albany, Buffalo, New York, Rochester, and Syracuse to New York State prisons. These buses help us and our families stay better connected.
2. PROXIMITY (S724)
SIGN THE PETITION to require New York State Department of Corrections and Community Supervision to place incarcerated parents at facilities in closer proximity to their children and loved ones. Visiting a parent in prison is an often-costly journey especially when traveling long distances,
3. CODIFICATION OF VISITS (A2483/S2698) | (A438/S2689)
SIGN THE PETITION to support the legislative codification of in-person visits in NYS prisons and county jails. This will ensure that in-person visits will never be taken away from a child when their parent is incarcerated. In-Person Visits enable us to hug, kiss and touch our parents and know that they are okay. Video calls have become an option to stay connected to our incarcerated parents; however, it should NEVER be the sole option when it comes to seeing our incarcerated parents. Communication between children and their incarcerated parents should be maximized in every form by phone, by video, and in-person
The three bills are currently moving through the legislative process in the New York State Assembly and Senate:
1. The Proximity Bill (S724/A6710) passed Finance Committee in the Senate and is in the Codes Committee in Assembly
2. The Codification of In-Person Visiting Bill (A2483/S2698) passed the Senate and is in the Ways and Means Committee in the Assembly
3. The Visiting Bus Bill (A5942/S731A) passed the Assembly Correction Committee and is now in the Ways and Means Committee in the Assembly. Having cleared committees in the Senate, the bill is now scheduled for a floor vote.